Tuesday, September 10, 2013

read this: the worst blog post ever! Mahi Mahi-style.

Let's talk about food. Then, let's go eat.

You may have already seen this in Reader's Digest or in The Huffington Post and I want to talk about it before I talk about Holé Molé and their false advertising practices. 

I'm not sure which sandwich shop this is so I apologize for not giving credit where it's due, but it's a great way to combat bad publicity. 


Thanks to HGTV, Food Network, Twitter, Facebook, Yelp and yes, even you, Blogger - everyone now thinks they're a food critic. And maybe "that one guy on yelp" very well got a bad meatball sandwich. It happens. But instead of starting a war with words on Yelp, this restaurant owner took the high(brow) road and used the bad review to create a clever advertising campaign outside his shop for the very affordable price of $0.


When someone makes a controversial statement it's near impossible not to have an instant reaction to it. So I think it's pretty clever to turn this bad customer comment on its head and create an advertisement from it. I wonder how many people tried the meatball sandwich that day. I also wonder if they went on Yelp and absolutely harassed the bejesus out of him for making such an outlandishly false claim. I guess I'll never know. 


If you know and you're reading this blog, please update me in the comments section below. I'd love to know!


Which brings me to the subject of Holé Molé. Last Tuesday night, my husband and I stopped into the restaurant to grab a bite to eat. I've only ever eaten at a Holé Molé once - on Taco Tuesday with coworkers and I had the taco special - whatever it was - I didn't ask. But my husband, an avid saltwater angler and connoisseur of fish, pays a lot closer to menu items especially when they pertain to the catch of the day.


Many restaurants advertise fish specials under false names. I think the most widely abused menu item is the "white tuna" typically found on a sushi menu. Often times, escolar an oily, cheap snake mackerel imitating tuna, is passed off as Albacore.  This fish is nicknamed the “ex-lax’’ fish by some in the industry because of the digestion problems it can cause.


But there isn't any escolar on the Holé Molé menu...I don't think. And there isn't any Mahi-Mahi either. I snapped this picture (above) and under Tacos you see listed "Cabo Tacos: Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos."

This is a Mahi Mahi fish.
And for only $2.79 each? That's a damn good deal for Mahi Mahi. So my ever skeptical husband asked our host, "the Cabo Tacos, those are actually Mahi Mahi?"

This is a Talapia fish.
"No, it's Talapia Mahi Mahi-style," answered our host. "All of our fish is Talapia."

First of all Holé Molé, Talapia is a disgusting shit-eating fish. These fish literally are raised on poop. Chicken poop.

Secondly, there is no such thing as "Mahi Mahi-style."Mahi-Mahi is actually a delicious surface-dwelling dolphinfish.

I've caught Mahi Mahi before. Mahi Mahi is also called Dorado in Mexico. They're delicious! Especially as sushi! Would you eat that fish to your right raw? Uh-uh. 

I think it's really crappy that Holé Molé would intentionally deceive its customers like this. I like their restaurant quite a bit. I think their shrimp bowls and carne asada tacos are delicious, but their business practices leave a bad taste in my mouth. 

I didn't bother Yelping about this but I did visit their Yelp page  to see if anyone else had caught on...apparently not - or at least if they had, they were keeping their mouth shut too. I mean, the place gets an average 4/5 stars and despite the "Mahi Mahi" tacos not really being what they say they are, for the most part, people like their shit-eating fish, so why do I want to rain on their parade. 

Besides, I don't need Holé Molé making me their poster girl for a sidewalk chalkboard campaign, "come try our amazing Cabo Tacos that one chick ever on Yelp said were shit-eating fish." 




No comments:

Post a Comment