Thursday, September 5, 2013

forgive me father, for I have blogged

since blogging for so many others, it feels like a sinful delight to blog for myself. so if you've stumbled upon this blog on purpose, or rather by accident, welcome to the charade. [charade: n empty or deceptive act or pretense]

just so you know, before writing this post - wait - stop. no, let's be honest here...exactly 22 words into it, I googled "what should I write in my first blog" and here's a list of the top five results:

11 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started My First Blog - Quick Sprout


not actually stopping to read any of these articles (yet), I had to ask myself, with 135,000 results returned in .28 (that's POINT 2-8 seconds...not 28 seconds) - how many people could possibly be writing a blog to inform others about what to write in their first blog? lol. is there that many of us dullards out there? 

now, I'm no stranger to writing. I'm a columnist for BDOutdoors.com. I also wrote (up until recently) the blog, the email newsletter, marketing messages, and all sorts of web and advertising copy for my former employer (that I'm sure will come up in blog #2 - tentatively titled "7 days until unemployment"). I've even ghost written for major PR campaigns and company spokespersons. But writing for yourself is hard. The last time I did it, I was 13 and it stated, "Dear diary..."

but I digress...

now I have read - ok skimmed - the first three articles. on the brink of unemployment I simply just don't have time to look at five posts about beginner blogging tips.

the fist one told me to tell you who I am and share pictures. the second one told me to be social. the third one told me to be mindful of my SEO so I could distinguish myself from the competition.

ok. here goes.


I'm Kathy. my friends call me Kat. This is what I look like with my nerdy mad scientist reading glasses on in a moth-ball riddled vintage Steelers T-shirt (authentically) picked up in a Pittsburgh thrift shop and mailed across country to me by a total stranger who I've never met but sent $30 to through paypal after meeting her on craigslist.

I'm a marketing public relations professional, competitive shooter, hunter, angler, CrossFitter and all-around enjoyable person*

I fully intend on sharing this post socially via twitter, facebook, pintrest and any other amazingly rad social sites where I can talk about important things like ME, Me, me, me using the hashtags #hireme #job #marketing #SEO #publicrelations #communications #BA #CSULB. (side note, I just created a new portfolio site and tweeted about it using these hashtags and lo and behold at least on person has already favorited it, thanks Rob Sinclair @nutrasique).

now, this whole SEO boosting concept...I thought about giving this blog post the title "Kim Kardashian Samsung Weiner Back-to-School Lotto MLB Scores" but I thought that would just be plain misleading. I don't rightly care if anyone reads THIS blog post. I just need something to do while I count down the days until unemployment which will then kick off a count-down to re-hire. 

so if you're interested in what a marketing person - currently between jobs - has to say about everything and nothing at all, then please tune back in again tomorrow for "7 days until unemployment". 


*This last point is up for debate...depends who you talk to quite frankly

No comments:

Post a Comment